North Sikkim Lachen & Lachung Sector falls under the Restricted & Protected Area
Everyone visiting North Sikkim beyond Mangan District needs to procure the permit in advance.
Prior booking thus is mandatory since documents of visitors are required in advance to procure the permits. Places restricted & not allowed In North Sikkim are Katau, Domang Valley, and Chopta Thangu & Beyond, Gurudongmar Lake Etc.
Tour starts and ends at Gangtok
The North Sikkim Tours starts from Gangtok and ends at Gangtok.
Best Time to Visit
Please note that the best time to visit Lachen and Lachung is March,
April, May, October and November. Though, the valley is open throughout
the year, the road condition in extreme winter and Monsoon may restrict
- Visitors are required to carry sufficient woollen clothes like caps, gloves, woollen mittens etc.
- It is advisable to travel light. Any excess baggage can be kept at Gangtok Hotel cloak rooms.
- Carry sunscreen and sun glasses
- Follow the local customs .
- Remove shoes before entering any temple or monastery
- Ask permission before entering a place of worship
- Try to be friendly with locals and don’t pass any offensive comment.
- Public toilets are few, so utilise one wherever you can.
are very few restaurants on the route to Lachung and Lachen. Thus, it
is advisable to carry snacks like biscuits, chips, fruits etc.
- Not many shopping avenues, thus carry most of the things you might require like basic emergency medicines etc with you.
- Carry portable chargers with you, if possible as the mobile connectivity is very poor
- Carry cash with you as there are very few ATMs on the way
Allowances for any delays that might occur due to documentation and
permit procedures. The departure time can vary, so try to keep your
patience as we try our best to ensure timely departures.
Dzongu, Gurudongmar Lake & Katau Snow Point
Dzongu – Visitors can visit Dzongu after procuring permits from Gangtok.
Lake – Only Indian Nationals are allowed to visit Gurudongmar Lake
with prior permits. NRIs and Foreign Nationals are not allowed to visit
Katau Snow Point – Visitors are not allowed as it is Restricted Area
NRIs and Foreign Nationals
Inner Line Permit (ILP) allows NRIs and Foreign Nationals to visit till Mangan, North Sikkim